top of page
18056541 [轉換].png

​Study in Japan

Japanese language educational institutions


​Basic introduction


​School List


​application process


common problem


Japanese language educational institutions

For non-native speakers of Japanese, various types of institutions that provide Japanese language education are generally referred to as "Japanese language education institutions", which can be roughly divided into the following three categories:


Learn Japanese with international students from all over the world. In addition to teaching the basic skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, the language school also provides various resources such as further education, career counseling, cultural experience, and out-of-school activities.

  • Japanese language schools, also commonly known as "language schools", are schools established by foundations, corporations, or school corporations.

  • Currently, there are more than 600 language schools across Japan, with about 60,000 people studying Japanese (according to the 2020 survey by the Japan Student Support Organization (JASSO), an independent administrative agency).

  • Common courses in language schools include university progression courses, college progression courses, business employment courses, etc. Most language schools also offer short-term courses that can be studied without a student visa. Language schools feature frequent extracurricular activities such as cultural experiences or exchanges with Japanese people.

  • The enrollment period is basically April, July, and October every year. A few schools also open enrollment in January, and the maximum study period is two years.

  • Due to the relevant regulations, most of the students who study in schools of "foundation corporations" and "corporate corporations" will not be able to enjoy student discounts in terms of transportation tickets and other aspects like students who study in schools established by "school corporations".

Japanese​language school

(language school)


A vocational school is an educational institution for learning professional skills, with a wide range of fields and meticulous divisions. Most schools attach great importance to the practice and the connection with the industry, and also have strong employment support, so that students who graduate from vocational schools can become the combat force in the workplace.

In addition, many vocational schools offer "Japanese language courses" for foreigners who want to learn Japanese or want to further their studies.

  • Vocational schools are educational institutions that provide high school graduates with the necessary professional knowledge and skills for employment or life (similar to Taiwan's secondary vocational schools), and can be understood as schools that specialize in learning specific skills or skills.

  • Many vocational schools have "Japanese Language Departments" for foreigners who want to learn Japanese or to further their studies in Japan, and teach Japanese. Depending on the school's regulations, some Japanese language graduates may obtain a "specialist" qualification to meet one of the conditions for employment in Japan.

  • Most vocational schools have a two-year education system, and the admission period for Japanese language courses is basically only in April and October each year. However, the deadline for admission to some specialized schools is later than that of general Japanese language schools, so applicants usually have more time to prepare application materials.

  • The biggest advantage of the Japanese language department of the vocational school is that it can share the campus equipment with the vocational school, and the school also organizes activities to communicate with Japanese students studying in other departments.

  • It should be noted that Taiwan does not currently recognize the degree of graduation from a Japanese vocational school. However, vocational schools provide very strong support for learning professional skills and career guidance in Japan, and graduates of two-year courses can also enter universities in Japan. Therefore, if there is a plan to develop employment in Japan, then specialized schools are also one of the good choices for further education.

vocational school

Japanese Language Department

school 2_edited.png

The Special Course for International Students is a Japanese language learning institution established by a university. The biggest difference compared with general language schools is that it is set up on the university campus and shares various campus facilities with the students of the school. In addition, some subjects are open to international students to audit university courses, which is an excellent opportunity to experience Japanese university education.

  • The special course for foreign students is a course set up in the university for foreigners to learn Japanese. The purpose is to educate Japanese and learn Japanese culture, etc. It is not a course in the university system, similar to the university language center in Taiwan.

  • Although it is not possible for foreign students to obtain a degree from the university, if they wish to enter a university in the future, it is definitely helpful to familiarize themselves with the environment in advance. Some schools will also offer special students recommended admission or tuition reduction discounts.

  • University special subjects are usually divided into spring (April) and autumn (September or October) enrollment. The application period is earlier than that of general language schools, and the study is mainly for one year.

the University

Special course for international students

Easy Comparison Chart
Japanese language educational institutions

*Note: The "Agency Fee" column describes the general situation of the Taiwan Study Abroad Center. Some study abroad centers may have different charging standards.

fuji banner2.jpg
Introduction of Japanese language education institutions and schools that Luming cooperates with
spoonbill (1)_edited_edited_edited.png

More partner schools continue to be added!
If you already have a school you want to attend, but it's not on the list,
Welcome to contact Luming, we will assist in contact and follow-up!


Introduction to how to apply

Basic application process

どうぞprivate たちにお人せください

Depending on the situation of the case,

The actual number of procedures to be handled and the sequence may need to be adjusted accordingly.

Therefore, the following basic procedures are for reference only.

Welcome to contact Luming, we will customize the process for you!


Application Reference Timeline


*Note: The above table is for reference only, and the actual deadline varies according to the regulations of each school.

spoonbill (1)_edited_edited_edited_edite
common problem

With so many schools, how do I choose?


When choosing a school, you need to assess your preferences in the following areas:

School Type Course Type Semester Length Class Time School Location Various Resources Other Features
Language schools, vocational schools, university specialties
General courses, further education courses, business Japanese...
Weeks, months, half a year, 1 year or more...
Morning, afternoon, all day...
Kanto, Kansai, and other areas for further education guidance, career guidance, scholarships...
Student nationality composition, school size...

spoonbill vec_edited.png

Where should I live after I arrive in Japan?

northern cardinal.png

Can I work locally while studying in Japan?

blue bird.png

I want to study in Japan, but my budget is limited, what should I do?


Common accommodation options are:

  • school dormitory

  • Student Union

  • Share House

  • General apartment

  • Homestay

spoonbill vec_edited.png
Foreign students holding student visas can work part-time in Japan as long as they have obtained the "Permission to Activity Outside the Status of Residence Permit", but the working hours and industry must comply with the relevant regulations. *
If you need part-time jobs, you can refer to the relevant job vacancies currently being recruited by local Japanese human resources brokers that Luming cooperates with.
Note: There are some jobs that do not need to apply for a permit for extra-qualification activities, such as a student visa holder working as a teaching assistant (TA), research assistant (RA), etc. in universities to assist in education and research work.
spoonbill vec_edited.png

If there is a budget consideration, first of all, when choosing a school, in addition to evaluating the school’s own teaching resources and characteristics, it will be recommended to consider avoiding high-priced metropolises such as Tokyo and Osaka, so as to save a lot of daily living expenses. Then you can start by saving on housing rent and choose affordable accommodation, such as a school dormitory or a share house, which is usually cheaper than renting a personal suite outside. In addition, you can also apply for school scholarships, or use your spare time to work to supplement expenses (but pay attention to learning as a priority, and don’t waste your studies for the sake of working and earning money!)

If you have budget constraints, please contact Luming to recommend suitable schools and accommodation for you.

spoonbill vec_edited.png

Not sure which category is suitable? Let Luming assist you.

bottom of page